Skip to Main Content

Student Visa

If you are an international student joining UPIC for a full-time, on-campus undergraduate or postgraduate course, you must ensure that you have valid leave to stay in the UK. This may involve needing to apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you do not have other permission in place.


To be eligible for this, you must:

  • Have been offered a place on a course
  • Speak, read, write and understand English
  • Have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (the amount will vary depending on your circumstances)
  • Meet any other eligibility requirements

What is a CAS Statement?

The CAS statement is a summary of the more detailed data held in your CAS file on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) database. The UKVI will be checking your application for a UK Study Visa against this information, so it is vital that the visa application form you submit copies the information exactly as it is on the CAS statement.

Once you meet all conditions and pay your tuition fee deposit in accordance to your offer letter, you will be issued with a Provisional CAS. The aim of this document is to make sure we hold your correct personal details on our system; these include your name, date of birth, nationality, contact details and course details. If anything is incorrect, please contact us by replying to the email that sent you your Provisional CAS.

You will get a Final CAS once you have met all the academic and non-academic conditions of your offer and confirmed the details of the Provisional CAS. This will contain a unique number that you will need to input on your visa application.

Proof of Funds

You will need to show evidence that you have funds to cover your maintenance for a year as well as your tuition fees for an academic year.

Foundation/First Year students:

  • If you have paid only a deposit (one semester), you will have to show enough funds to cover your second semester’s fees plus maintenance.
  • If you have paid the fees for a full academic year (two semesters), you will have to evidence funds for maintenance only.

Pre-Masters students: you will have to evidence funds for maintenance only.

The maintenance amount for an academic year is currently £9,207 for students studying outside of London. This figure may change over time, so it is always best to check with the most recent guidance or ask a member of the team.

If this money is held in your bank account, it will need to be held there for 28 consecutive days, and you’ll need to provide your most recent bank statement (it must end no more than 31 days prior to the visa application).

This must be an original (not photocopied) statement in English (or supplied with an official translation), supplied and stamped by your bank. The names on the bank statement must match the name on your passport, confirm your account number and clearly display the bank logo.

You do not need to have the funds listed in £GBP. The statement can show your funds in your home currency, but please use a currency converter to check the amount in £GBP.

Using Your Parents’ Funds

If you are using your parents’ funds, you must provide:

  • Your parents’ bank statement showing the required funds.
  • Your original Birth Certificate, showing yours and your parents’ names. This must be in English or translated by an approved translator or translation company.
  • A letter from your parents, signed and dated, confirming they are sponsoring you.

You can only use your parents’ bank account – you cannot show funds in the account of any other relatives or friends. 

You can use your legal guardian’s funds, but we’ll need to receive official evidence of legal guardianship.

What if I am a Sponsored Student?

If your government or officially recognised international company are sponsoring you, you can show an Official Financial Sponsorship Letter to cover some or all of your funds. If you are not being sponsored for the full amount (course fees and maintenance), you will need to show the remaining funds in your bank account.

Useful Links

How to Apply for a Student Visa

You must apply online for a Student visa.

You may need to attend a short credibility interview as part of your application. Guidance on credibility interviews can be found here.

Back to Top